Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cajun Gumbo and Fun!

Language Acquisition class ended Friday and my mind is so full I do believe knowledge is oozing out my ears. I have been given tools that will assist in me learning Kazakh.


If you wonder where I am, I'm on top of the table taking the picture!!!


Our small group that meets once a week pictured above with another small group.

During the past two weeks we had the amazing opportunity to work with a language helper. This is a person who's second language is English. We are encouraged to find a person in our new country who will helps us learn the language. To practice these skills people from the local community who were born in another country are brought in so we practice some of the ideas given to us so we can have a better understand how they will work once we are in our new home.



My group was the four of us above and I want to say what an amazing group of people they are. It was such a joy to work with Clay, Bonnie and Michelle. They each are so gifted and talented in so many ways. Our language helper was Natasha from Russia and oh, what a delight she was. The idea wasn't to learn the language we each will be learning in our various countries, but learn the techniques and skills to help us learn a new language. We actually learned some Russian and it was so much fun.





Clay's parent drove in from Louisiana. As a special gift they prepared an authentic Cajun Gumbo for all of us Friday night. Oh, my it was absolutely delicious. I had to eat seconds. It was Meagan's Birthday (Clay's sweet wife) and she was surprised with a birthday cake. It was a great time to fellowship and enjoy each other's company and know we had no homework for the weekend. YEAH!!!









The weather here in North Carolina is cool and crisp. The leaves have changed to beautiful yellow, oranges and reds. As I watch fall change through the kaleidoscope of colors I'm aware of how fast time is moving forward. Soon winter will blanket the area with a chill in the air and the leaves will blanket the ground in brown. The reality that this will be my last fall here on the east coast for awhile brings a mixture of emotions. I'm so excited to be that much closer to moving to Kazakhstan and at the same time missing my family and friends who I will leave behind. My dear friends and family are treasures I sometimes forget to acknowledge just how precious each one is to me. I am looking forward to spending some quality time when I get back to Richmond with many dear friends.
Thank you for being with me on this journey. My love to each of you.
Love Vicki

No comments: