Sunday, August 16, 2009

A visit to see children of Savva




Friday (14 August) Sara, Ken, Kiikzhan and I headed to a camp where the kids from Savva (Савва) have spent most of their summer. Our main purpose was to celebrate with the children who had birthdays in July and August. I enjoyed being able to see these precious children again.










In the picture above are the children who celebrated birthdays.


Ken made chocolate cake for all to enjoy. Juice, cheese balls and candy rounded out the party food.



Games were played and, as you can see from the pictures, everyone enjoyed themselves.


Marco - Polo


Double hot potato



Each child was given a gift. This year all the children received school supplies which are greatly needed through the year.



After the party was over we still had about 5 hours Friday evening and 3 hours Saturday morning to hang out with the kids. The opportunity to spend some time with these precious ones was such a joy. All kinds of ideas ran through my mind as to different projects and activities we could do with these kids to build in some of the life skills they desperately need. I'm looking forward to seeing how some of these activities can be put into place this year.

A lot of these kids I have known since they were 3 and 4 years old. I've watched them grow. While there, my heart broke for some of the children. You can see in their eyes the hope slipping away, the hardness coming in. When I look into the eyes of others, I wonder if the hope will be there the next time I see them or will they, too, have that look of hopelessness. I have to keep my focus so my heart doesn't become overwhelmed or harden to their plight. It is not my job to save these children. I'm called to what I'm asked and to let love flow through me. Like that starfish story. It does make a difference to the one who is lifted up and thrown back into the ocean. It does make a difference when someone's heart is touched - lives can be changed. It takes courage and a willingness to risk and faith.

From art seminars, murals, and projects that teach practical skills for life, as well as working with a team that brings opportunities to these children, fills my heart with thankfulness. This is what I was created to do before the beginning of time. My life to this point has woven many experiences together that can be used in many areas now that I'm here. I am thankful and humbled to be able to be here with this team and these precious children.







Thank you, dear friends, for your support and encouragement. Thank you for remembering these precious ones.
Love,
Vicki

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Hello Vicki,
Greetings from an adoptive Mother of two beautiful daughters from Taraz. I have been reading your blog for months now, and I find more and more that your posts absolutely sweep me up in your love for these children and your passion for doing all you can for them!! You inspire me to do more. You are in my prayers, that you can continue these good works.
God bless you for the blessing you are to them.
Marcia from Wisconsin, happy happy Mommy to Sara Marina (age 6) and Kate (age 3),each adopted as infants from the Umit Baby Home