Saturday, July 11, 2009

Celebrating Kazakh Style







Sunday, July 5th, I had the great pleasure and joy of going to the edge of Taraz for a picnic with friends. These friends opened their picnic and hearts to us who are foreigners. In many ways the time was similar to any neighborhood picnic or family BBQ and it felt familiar to me on so many levels. I relaxed and enjoyed myself fully.



The menu was slightly different but if you look at the basics of meat, veggies, bread and soda, it was the same. There was one big difference, however, and that was the meat. Now, in the States I ate a lot of meats many Americans don't typically eat - lamb, goat, deer, rabbit, wild turkey, for example. Here horse and sheep are the norm and this picnic had both. The large pot below held up by a circular tube which holds the fire inside. The large pot is filled with horse parts and then towards the end sheep is added. Evidently horse takes longer to cook. The fat, along with the meat, is included. That old riddle "Jack Sprat could eat no fat and his wife could eat no lean" takes on new meaning here. Fat is a valued part of the meal, not a part to be given to the dog or thrown away.



The women and men who are in charge of cooking stirred this mixture most of the morning - until a knife pierced each piece easily. Then all the meat and chunks of fat were laddled out and taken inside the Yurta (traditional Kazakh tent). There the meat was cut up into smaller pieces.



When I first walked out back to see what was going on, I wasn't sure if they would appreciate me intruding but I was warmly welcomed. They worked hard to explain what was going on even with the lack of much language understanding between us. You would be surprised what can be conveyed with hand motions and a few words!! One gentleman conveyed a story I've heard before. The wolf eats the most meat and Kazakh's eat the second most meat. That I can believe. I'm always amazed at the amount of meat Kazakh's eat. Not being a big meat eater myself, so this can be a struggle for me. On this day the women cutting up the meat insisted I taste some of the choice pieces. I have to say the meat was very tender and tasty. I ate both sheep and horse.



Once the meat is taken out, noodles are added. The fat in the water is not drained out before putting the noodles in because Kazakhs think the fat in the water is good for you. When the noodles are cooked, they are scooped onto large platers and thinly sliced onions and chunks of meat and fat are added. The platters are placed several to each table. Generally Kazakhs eat with their fingers from community platters. Americans, however, are given a plate or bowl. I've gotten fairly use to the community way and am comfortable with that - depending on who I'm sitting with.

Since I was in and out of the Yurt, the women kept wanting me to taste various things. By the time the meal was served at the table, I was stuffed. I did sit down for a short time and one sweet little girl decided my lap was the lap to sit on. Children go in and out of the tent as the food is being prepared getting handouts. When the meal is served children crawl onto laps - anyone's lap! Children don't stay with their parents and everyone feeds them. Children also run by the tables with their hands out and they are passed whatever they have asked for. I enjoyed having this sweet girl on my lap and passing food to various children that squeezed by me. Once the kids figured out I generously passed out candy, they knew where to come for more. When my lap companion had had enough and left, I decided I'd also rather be up moving around with the kids and the cooking crew.





The couple below was so sweet. He is the one who told me about wolves and Kazakhs. She was the one who patiently explained and explained till I understood what she was saying with my limited words. She also wanted me to taste everything. Horse, sheep, mares' milk, camels' milk, and the broth they drink that is left after all the meat and pasta is removed from the water. If it sits too long it will jell into a solid. I tasted it but couldn't get much down. I'm not sure if it was actually the taste or the knowledge of what it was and what my arteries were thinking.

While she was cutting the meat, her head scarf fell off. Her husband refolded it and tied it back around her head. It was so cute seeing these two together and his kindness to her.



These two women were also very sweet. They looked like little china dolls. People from all ages attended, laughing and enjoying each other. Children ran around playing and wrestling. One young man had a bow and an arrow with a suction cup at the end. I could make faces and say simples words, chasing and tickling just like I would do at home. The children didn't seem to notice I didn't speak their language. They also enjoyed posing for the camera and then seeing their picture on the back of the camera.









Chewing on the bones is acceptable, expected and desired. Most bones are cracked open giving access to the bone marrow that is suppose to be very good for you. I made a great sacrifice and gave my bone away. I love this picture of this little boy with this huge bone. Beth and I snuck one bone for a dog down the street because it seemed a shame not to let him have one, too.













When Marc and Sarah came to Kazakhstan in 2002, they returned home with the idea of how much alike the Kazakhs and we are. Marc and Sarah hadn't focused on what was different but saw what is the same. The love of family and friends, the desire of families to take care of each other and be with each other. Isn't there more that is the same between us than different? Seeing beauty in each person - each who has been uniquely and wonderfully made - sometimes takes more effort but brings so much more reward.

Sunday I definitely saw the things which cross borders, race, age, politics and such. I had the joy of being among people who were enjoying each other's company and who generously welcomed a stranger among them. I hope I will always generously open my heart and home to strangers who may come my way. I was blessed beyond measure that day with the opportunity to share in their meal.

I am blessed each day with the gift of friendships near and far. I cannot tell you each how much I value your sweet correspondence. It touches my heart and encourages me, especially during those moments I want to share what is on my heart but cannot because I don't yet have the words to express myself. Nonetheless, I still desire that my actions convey my heart and can be understood without words. May you each be enjoying those around you that you. Don't take for granted those you love and treasure. Thank you for joining me in this next chapter.
Vicki

No comments: