Saturday, May 30, 2009

Different modes of transportation here!







Most mornings I walk several blocks to catch the marshuka (bus). After exiting at my stop, I walk the last several blocks to the Interlink Office. This is a pleasant walk except in the pouring rain. I imagine come winter I'll think less pleasant. In Richmond, Virginia I never took the bus or a taxi. I always had a car. As I drove around, I typically only saw cars, buses, trucks, a moped or two and maybe some motorcycles. Nothing too unusual. When I was in Lancaster, PA, I loved hearing the clip clop of horses' hooves as the carriages passed Chip's home. In Lancaster, PA it is the norm to see horse-drawn carriages on the roads. I also loved seeing mule drawn plows in the fields as we drove around.

I grew up a city girl, but my heart longed for the open spaces of a farm. Opportunity, through a string of life events, brought me to working on a dairy farm outside of Richmond when I was in my early twenties. I didn't know a single thing about farming and even less about cattle or milking a cow. Brian Smith, the farm manager, for Cabin Hill Farm was a Va Tech graduate and willingly shared his knowledge. I found I loved that life style. It was hard work with long days, but there was a natural rhythm that soothed my soul. It made sense to me and I learned through hands-on experience. Having just squeaked by in high school, barely earning my diploma, a schoolroom environment wasn't for me. After a couple of years on the dairy farm, I worked for Jack and Lizzie Falls in Bedford, Virginia. He was a livestock dealer and they had a small 170 acre farm. They were in their late 70's and had an 8th and 5th grade education, but they were two of the smartest people I have ever known. I loved getting up early and then finishing tired and filthy after a long day of working hard. I thought I was born in the wrong century. I should have been in the "old west" because the modern suburban life wasn't for me. Little did I know that the desires of my heart would be answered in a foreign land. The call on my life was beyond my imagination in a land I had never heard of.





I have been here on seven previous short-term trips. Now I'm entering my fourth week since moving and my heart still leaps with excitement each time I see the livestock that are all around here. Hopefully, soon I'll have an opportunity to jump on a horse and ride or ride in a horse, donkey or camel drawn cart.















I am so very thankful for the opportunity to be here, but even more for my family and friends without whom this wouldn't be possible. I'm thankful for Marc and Sarah who have been a great gift to me and who have made me want to be a person far better than I ever imagined possible. I'm thankful for my dear friends who have encouraged me along the way, who have cried with me, celebrated with me and held my hands when there were no words. What treasures each are - rare and precious and born over time and fire.

As I enter my fourth week, the novelty is wearing off. A peace and contentment is settling in. This is the place I have held in my heart for oh so many years. I didn't have name or location, but now that I'm here I know this is the place that's been in my heart since before I was born.

Thank you, each one, for joining me in the next chapters of my life.
Love
Vicki



2 comments:

Megan Sandoz said...

I love you Vicki! I am so happy you are there and that you have such contentment. Like a nice long sigh... I am feeling peaceful just reading about it :)

parmaj61 said...

Godliness with contentment is great gain. So pleased to see you are settling in
well.

Hope you are feeling better. How is the language coming?

Love you and miss you, Jaye & Milt