Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sitting in the London airport thinking over this past week.

As I sit here in London Heathrow Airport, I have a chance to catch my breath and think back over this past week. What an absolutely amazing week it has been. Last Wednesday (April 29) I returned to Richmond, Virginia after an amazing time in Lancaster, PA with my friend Chip. Then I realized just how much I had to do before I left for Kazakhstan.

On Thursday morning my mother called saying I needed to be at my sister Kami's house for pizza at 6 pm. Well, I already had dinner plans with my friend Michelle and her family at 6. Ugh!!! I was running out of time. I called my sister Emilie, who lives in Missouri, to "vent" my frustration on this last minute invitation. She was quite patient, advising I go enjoy time with my family and to be sure to send her pictures. So, I canceled my original dinner plans and, after a hectic day of running around taking care of last minute details, I arrived at my sister Kami's house at 6.

As I walked through the back door of Kami's home, two of my nieces were there and one of them belonged to Emilie. My mind runs a little slow sometimes!! I stood there trying to compute how Nadia, who is Emilie's daughter, could be standing in Kami's house. While still trying to grasp the obvious, my sister Emilie walked in. She and her girls had driven two days to surprise me!!! They had come to celebrate with me and send me off. I cannot begin to express the joy that burst forth in my heart. To have them come to celebrate made everything almost totally perfect (I only needed my sweet, sweet Sarah to make everything absolutely perfect). What a great gift! I want to thank my brother-in-law, Brent, for giving my sister the money to come east to celebrate with me. He couldn't take time off from work, but realized how significant an event this was in my life and how much it would mean to my sister and to me for her to be here for this big moment in life. Emilie is the most amazing, beautiful and talented woman and I am so proud to be able to say she is my sister.

I have referred to this journey as an Epic Tale and that I'm beginning a new chapter in my life. Emilie said, "Your life up to this point is only the prologue to the story. Stepping onto the plane will be the first page of chapter one in this great epic tale." I believe this tale will have lots of adventure, some heartache probably, and a little pain, but much joy and beauty.


The cousins in age order - Marcus, my sweet Sarah is missing from the picture, Adell, Katie, Michael Eithan, Nadia and Sarah Mac.


My sisters and me and our families - minus my Sarah and Michael(Kami's husband)who is taking the picture.


My sisters and their families. I'm taking the picture.


Kathryn and me.

Early Friday morning Kathryn, a dear friend, came over to take me, Edith, and my trunks to the FedEx office to ship my trunks. Kathryn gets a discount with FedEx. Thank you, Kathryn, for your willingness to help with this.


The lady who helped us at the FedEx office was delightful and helpful through the whole process. I actually did a little dance in the office once everything was signed and paid for. Not something I regularly do - for those of you who might be wondering, but I was so happy and relieved to get the trunks sent off that I couldn't help but dance!

That evening I joined Kathryn and her children for a cook-out bonfire at their neighbor's home. Papa "Nando", as the kids refer to him, hosted a wonderful evening. He and his wife have a lovely home on a private lake for fishing. The food was terrific and the fellowship was sweet. I had been wanting to have one last bonfire before I left, so this was a great gift. Hamburgers on the grill, hot dogs cooked on the fire, baked beans, corn on the cob roasted on the fire, potatoes, and all the fixing topped off with roasted marshmallows and samores added to a fantastic time of fellowship and treasured memories.













Saturday Chip came to join the weekend of celebrations. She and I had dinner with Marc. It was great to have someone capture a few pictures of me and my son. Marc and I have been making regular times to get together these last couple months, knowing these face-to-face times were growing short. I am going to miss my son and daughter so much. I will be able to talk with them and see them on Skype, but it will not be the same as seeing them face-to-face. Sunday will be the first "Mother's Day" I will spend without my children with me. Oh, how my heart aches to be with them. At the same time, I know the call on my life is to go to Kazakhstan and work with the children that are orphaned. What a great gift to have this privilege, even though I miss my own two.


Marc and me at dinner at Joe's Inn in Bon Air, Virginia


I will always treasure Marc's sweet hugs. I love you, my son,and am ever so proud of you!!

Sunday afternoon (May 3) Bill and Susan hosted a BBQ cook-out for friends and family, as a farewell celebration. Bill and I cooked 180 pieces of my traditional BBQ chicken. Talk about a lot of chicken!! Through the years my children and I have hosted these types of cook-outs to celebrate birthdays, graduations and other special occasions. I would do the BBQ chicken and have sodas and a cake and everyone coming would bring their favorite dish. I never planned what people would bring and each time the variety was perfect. No one has ever left one of these celebrations hungry! Sunday was no exception!

My heart was truly touched by the out-pouring of love and friendship shown. Over a hundred people came to celebrate all that my Papa has done for me. Before we ate, I said a few words of gratitude for the circle of friends and family who have so richly blessed my children and me. People have stood with us through tough years, as well as celebrated the many times we've had wonderful reasons to celebrate. Looking around the rooms at the faces of those who have touched our lives in so many amazing ways - from small things to large - was pure joy. Each has made a huge impact on our lives. The only thing that could have possibly made that night any sweeter was for my daughter, Sarah, to be there, but I understand the Navy doesn't work around personal schedules. I am so incredibly proud of my daughter and all she is doing.


A little of the array of food that was at the BBQ.


Another view of food - and there was still another room with plates full of food!! No one went hungry.


The women on "my team" who keep me straight - or at least try! Edith, myself, Susan, Chip and Lois. Each is an amazing woman in herself. Each gifted in a different way. Each have made a significant contribution to my life. Each is taking care of different aspects of my life. I don't know what I would do without these amazing, talented, brilliant, gifted, beautiful women. They are my friends and are my confidants, the ones who ask me the hard questions, laugh with me and cry with me, and who love me inspite of myself. Thank you Edith, Susan, Chip and Lois.



Ember and me. Ember just returned from Kazakhstan and a year's internship with Interlink Resources Inc.


Me and my son, Marc.




My niece Nadia, me and niece Sarah Mac.


My long time friend, Michelle, and my beautiful sister, Emilie.








Marc and me. Oh, how miss him already.


Dear friends: Susan, me, Chip and Pam


Emilie, me, and Kami - three sisters. I'm actually the eldest, then Kami and Emilie is the youngest. What a gift to have all three of us together at the celebration!


Most of the group who joined us to celebrate!

Thinking about the last week makes me realize how incredibly blessed I am. I have been given great friends and much love. I am not alone and have many who care for me and my children. As I visited with people Sunday evening, as well as over the past year, I've heard time and time again, "If you or your children need anything please call." and "Make sure Marc and Sarah know they can call when you are in Kazakhstan." and "We love you and your children and are so proud of you for following the call on your life." To hear such affirmation and out-pouring of love is a great treasure, treasure I will store in my heart. When I am feeling blue, I will unwrap these treasured words and memories and be encouraged. No matter where I am or what is happening, I have a Papa who loves me dearly - and many dear friends who love me also - just as I am!

Thank you, dear friends. Thank you for joining me in this next chapter of life. Thank you for all each of you have done to get me to this new chapter. I couldn't have done it with out you.

I love you and miss you. The adventure has begun!
Vicki

1 comment:

Megan Sandoz said...

Go, Vicki, go!! I am so excited for you, Friend! Love, Megan