Saturday, May 9, 2009

Leaving Washington DC and arriving in Kazakhstan


May 6 - at the airport with Lois, Edith, Susan and Chip - and all my luggage.

Edith, my mentor, organized the "gang" that took me to the airport. It was an event. Edith, Lois, Susan, Chip and I left Richmond after lunch at Panera's where I had thought about having pizza or a big greasy hamburger with french fries, but then thought better of it, considering I'd be on the airplane for a long time. I love Panera's salads and salads are actually my choice of food most days. Though it might be a long time before having pizza and hamburgers again, I decided I could survive without either of them.

The trip from Richmond to Dulles takes a couple of hours. The traffic wasn't heavy along I95 and traffic moved smoothly. On the way up Kathryn called and we tried to figure out what was happening with the trunks that had been shipped by FedEx. We had been told they would be delivered to Interlink's office in Taraz. That was what we paid FedEx for. Well, one of those things you learn early on when living in a different country is that things don't always work the same as in the States. The good news is that my trunks are in Kazakhstan; however, they are still in Almaty, several hours drive from Taraz, and they can't be released until all kinds of fees are paid. Some fees were expected, some not. Unfortunately paying bribes is a way of life in some foreign countries, but I'm not willing to pay bribes. I will, however, pay all true custom charges and fees. Anyway, Kathryn is trying to figure out on that side of the ocean what can be done to release my trunks.

For most of the ride we laughed and were delighted that on this amazing day, I was about to board the plane for Kazakhstan! My mind kept thinking of what I might have forgotten, but then I realized there wasn't a thing I could do about whatever it might be I had forgotten. So I sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Chip was following us in her car, since she would be returning to Lancaster, PA from Dulles. At a long stop light close to Dulles, I jumped out of the Edith's car and rode the rest of the way with her. What a great treasure to have such good friends.


Lois, Edith, Me and Susan and my "stuff."


I am a little excited, don't you think?!?!


Edith helping me, as I'm checking in.


Edith is still helping me with allllllll the details!!!


The long black object is my easel, which wouldn't fit into my trunks. My suitcases were "a little" overweight! It's hard to narrow down your entire life's belongs to six trunks and two suitcases!!


Susan and Chip patiently waiting for what turned out to be a long checking-in process to finish.

When I gave my final hugs before going through security, my heart suddenly wanted to stay with my friends. I wanted to be in Kazakhstan, yet I didn't want to leave my dear friends and family. After I sailed through security, I turned for a final wave and the tears began to flow. I wanted to run back for one last hug, feeling like a small child wanting to feel their arms again. For a moment, the adventure seemed to large for me. Then my practical side took over. First, I wasn't sure how security would have responded to someone running back through the security lines! Secondly, my heart really was longing to be Kazakhstan, especially as the faces of the children I love there came to mind.

Sometimes there are hard choices. Leaving to go to some desired place has the flip side of leaving people and places you love. In many ways, also, it is because of their love that I even want to go or am able to go. So, after waving, I turned with tears of sadness mixed with joy and walked towards my gate. The first page of this first chapter of the rest of my life began!

I usually can sleep on a plane, but I was full of so much excitement I couldn't from Dulles to London. It was a pleasant trip all in all. Because of tail winds, the pilot made it in record time, arriving early - before London Heathrow was even open for business! We circled for almost an hour, then landed a few minutes pass six. This is the first time I haven't traveled with a team, so it was a little scary. I found a great place to get breakfast and a cup of coffee, then found a bench to lie down on and rest.

On the next leg of my journey from LHR to Almaty, the plane wasn't full and I was able to have three seats to myself. Hurray!!! I was able to stretch out horizontally and slept some on that flight. The food was good on both flights and I saw a couple of movies. We arrived in Almaty at 2 am Friday morning.

I was amazed to quickly get through customs. No one even looked at my suitcases, which all arrived safely. I was out the door in minutes to be greeted by Ascel from Interlink. She had a bag of snacks and water for our trip to Taraz. The car was loaded and we were on our way in a short time. I laid down in the back seat and tried to sleep during the trip. The driver made record time and we were at the Interlink offices by 9 am. Amazing!! I felt like I was in a dream. As soon as I arrived, I was able to take a much needed shower.

The staff had begun preparations for Men's Day Celebration when I arrived. In Kazakhstan they celebrate Women's Day in February and Men's Day in May. The female staff of Interlink had organized a lunch, skits, games and gifts for the men on staff. There was a great feast, much laughter, games, skits and gifts given. It was a great way to start my first day in country.


Preparing the feast for Men's Day.

























The celebration went on until 3 in the afternoon. Then the women cleaned up. I washed dishes, as well as took pictures, which everyone knows I love to do. Beth, the Director of Interlink in KZ, asked if I wanted to help the Youth Impact students deliver gifts to veterans of WW2. Of course, I said "Yes." And off I went with Kiizhan and two girls from the Youth Impact Program to deliver gifts. It was great seeing parts of Taraz that I had never before seen. I loved watching the faces of those who received gifts. They were so appreciative and thankful. Just like in Virginia, the elderly have so much wisdom to share and they love it when youth takes time to visit.


This woman was shy, but very thankful.


The side of the home of the next couple.



This sweet couple have been married for 64 years. He stated that his wife was the best wife in Kazakhstan and he only need one because she was so good. He also shared stories of his visit to America after the war ended to deliver a tank. He shared many more adventures, as well. They were so warm and friendly. Once they realized I was from America they were thrilled and honored that I would come visit and give them blessing in honor of what they had done for their country. I told them the honor was all mine. They also asked if I would return with the pictures I had taken for a visit and tea. Beth has said I can do this, so soon I will return. My heart overflows with thanksgiving that I have this great opportunity to connect with people here.




Their little guard dog that they penned up so we could enter their court yard. Don't be fooled by the size. Dogs here in Kazakhstan are very protective and he would most definitely have bitten!





There is a school across the street from this couple. I was told it was a Turkish school. As we were leaving, these school boys, who had just gotten out of school, were just outside the gate. As an American with a camera, I caught their attention. It seems universal that children want their pictures taken and they then want to see the pictures - and they all seem to know about digital pictures! It was fun to interact with them.





Lots of bright colors adorn buildings and lots of stray animals wander the streets.



Our third stop was another friendly couple and he had lots of stories to share. They had a cute little cottage with beautiful gardens all around. It was a little on the chilly side for me, but flowers are blooming everywhere.






I mentioned how beautiful her flowers were. I'm learning that I have to be very careful admiring things here. Why? Because they will give it to you, if you do. It is an honor custom. If you admire an antique tea set, you'll be leaving with it. Thankfully, I only admired her flowers -- and I left with a beautiful bunch in my hands. It was great reminder to watch what I say. I'm not in "Virginia" any more. Different country - different customs. Different doesn't refer to "good" or "bad." Different just means different - and that I need to remember.




A widow into their home. See the tea pot?


This is an example of ladders here. This is why I needed one to bring with me. I'm "old" and don't bounce so well, if a ladder collapses! Thank you, Chic Silver, for purchasing one to go in the crate that Interlink Resources is sending over.



This is a typical apartment building.

It took a long time to deliver the gifts because people wanted to talk. At 5:30 I was returned to the office. Marina and her husband then took me to Ken's house. The team was hosting a group of orphan boys from Saramodiva Orphanage for pizza, hamburgers and a movie to celebrate Men's Day. Beth had made homemade pizza while we were out delivering gifts. The food was great! So much for thinking I wouldn't have pizza until I returned to the States!! I was beginning to run out-of-steam, so instead of staying to watch the movie with the boys, Beth and I headed back to her apartment.


A boy from Saramodiva watching a movie as part of Men's Day Celebration




Gus is Beth's cat who made me feel at home by napping with me.

It was great to stay with Beth and for the first two nights. What an adventure it has been so far. When I woke up Saturday morning and opened my eyes, my mind had to think about where I was. This has happened several times in the past year, as I have had to move from home to home. My mind is realizing I am now in Kazakhstan -- finally!! Sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, then reality comes! I am actually here and joy fills my heart. I moved to my host family Sunday, May 12.

Thank you dear friends and family for all you have done to make this possible.
Please continue to join me for now the adventure has just begun.
Love
Vicki

1 comment:

Megan Sandoz said...

I am so excited, encouraged, and happy! Your first day was so special. I love the picture of the Turkish school kids with the sweet couple in the background waving. God surrounding you with precious people from the very beginning, didn't he? I am so glad to be able to follow you through your blog. What a blessing the internet can be! Keep on keeping on, Vicki! And love to you from Belgium!